Thursday, April 9, 2020

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

It's surreal to read about the Count living in isolation in The Metropol Hotel, during our own isolation in the world because of COVID-19.  Of course, the Count's world is unlike anyone I know who is staying home, because we can't choose between restaurants for our meals.  Maybe we can choose between eating at the dining room table or eating in front of the television.

I did some research on the author to prepare for Monday Book Group and I found this wonderful presentation Mr. Towles did for the 2017 National Book Festival.  Here's the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_eUJOoMwYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_eUJOoMwY.  Listening him talk about how he got the idea for the book and how he actually wrote the book made the book that much more interesting for me.

A Gentleman in Moscow has been very popular since it was published.  Towles' first book Rules of Civility I enjoyed so very much.

In his presentation, he discussed his next book.  A title was not released, however, I look forward to its publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment